So ya wanna be a Tank ??!!

Class chat, links, and maps ...
Gaggrol

So ya wanna be a Tank ??!!

Post by Gaggrol »

Ted and others have done a fine job in explaining AA's equipment and why a warrior can do what they do...I here want to focus on what you do :lol:
Let me start with a couple basic keys you need set up... I call it the Z key but can be set to any key.. i use Z because A is still my attack key and i want them close by each other... go to options... keys.... targeting... " cycle nearest NPC " .. it is blank by default.. hit the key you want ,once you highlight the line and you are set... What you can do with it....Weather 1 mob or 10 are inc .. every time you hit that key it gives you the next furthest NpC.. ie.. the MT can hit the key once and target the first mob in a pull.. the ST can hit the key 2 times and target the 2nd mob that will be in camp.. 3T taps the key 3 times and will have the 3rd mob that will be in camp.. ect ect.. A good tank list can sort out a 6 pull trap in Gates easy and never have a caster hit .
Brovo you have targeted a mob !! now what ??? Tag it.. shoot it with an arrow as soon as you can.. Oh you have bagged your bow for " uber range item # 00345 " ?? not to worry slick hotkey info to follow ...
Grab a blank hot key and lable it " Gaggrol smells good and his Fleas are well behaved " and fill in the lines as follows....
/bandolier activate (bow)
/autofire
/autofire
/bandolier activate (range )

(bow) or any name you want will be a bando set up with a bow and arrow in your invantory.. ( ranged ) or any name , will be your normal Bando set up with " uber range item #00345" in it.. what it will do ... It will equip your bow.. fire an arrow and re-equip your range item faster than you can say " Ranger down "

So we have targeted a mob at distance.. we have plucked him with an arrow..assuming the puller FD's you now have your first type of aggro..First hit aggro we like to call it ( catchy name huh ? ).. as soon as the mob is close enough , hit it with your best " insite" ...this is our best "snap" aggro and you can ofter see the mob change corse and come stright to you...then you want to get and hold " Prox" aggro .. stand on his toes.. be the easiest person to hit without making them reach..

Calling Assit..This gets to be almost a feeling , different zones and different bosses seem to lock aggro or not at different times in different ways ( mem-blur mobs not-withstanding) often based on the raid make up at times. If i know the mob and have fought it often.. if i have taged early and not been off the HoTT ..if i know that i don't have crazy-mad-over-nuking-power-wizzies waiting to chain cast 16k nukes the second i call assist.. then i will often call assist early...If i am new to the fight.. unsure of the mob.. have seen other names in HoTT ( most notably healers ) i will wait the 12 seconds for Fort/furious to dorp and let a Ch / or 2 land befor calling assist.. if your aggro is shaky you will know it the first time a decient Ch hits you... if you had called assist and the mob run to the healer you are now compeating with the entire raid force ( that will likly say " But HE called assist !! ) for aggro.. and every good hearted Pallie SK and ranger will be taunting , snaring, stunning and in all way taking aggro off the cleric .. as they should . it just makes getting the mob locked that much tuffer...
OK Let the dance begin....So if you haven't screwed up by now and by the sheer favor of the gods you are still alive and have aggro, what do you do with this mob that hates you so much ?? Well to dispell an ugly rumor... Balance by a raid force is a myth...People that Scream " balance " on raids still believe in Santa also and we must not shatter thier dreams..but where the mob is .. is more the work of the MT than the raid ( at least that's what i tell young warriors.. and they buy it *snicker * ).. and the really cool part is you are batteling your entire raid force to try and maintain some illusion of balance ..
Plan A.. a nice cornor .. back in , raid on back of mob...life is good...
Plan B... The " Tov wall walk " a very focused raid can get close to mob lock on a wall .. but more likly the mob will scooh slowly along the wall..at some point you will " flip" the mob and start back the way you came. Make sure you know where your healers are..and how far you can go befor being OOR of heals...
Plan C...no wall ..no cornor...the raid is pushing the mob to Freeport and back...now what ? You will be dancing the whole fight.. you will not be able to set the mob for maxuim damage for the raid force. but there are 3 things you must do...1, you must keep arrgo..so moving.. fliping and adjusting must be done in small bursts and short distances..2.. you must keep the mob and the raid in heal range..... 3. you must not set the mob near the casters ( unless the spific raid calls for such ) Heals and nukes and slows all have a " hate value " if possable you don't want to add prox-aggro to that mix...most notably when your dancing with the mob and it is getting pushed away from you at times..

MT...on a muli-pull quickly idinify and target the strongest mob in the group. this will not alway be the first to camp.. casters stop and cast ect..On a muli-pull you want to quickly "Z-Key " thru the whold pull .. you look for names first. if no name the highest Con mob..all mobs same con ?. first one in camp works... this has to be done fast.. mobs are not going to stop and let you con them.. Time P-3 is a great training ground for this mostly muli-pulls and often 1-2 named mixed in with lower con mobs. Join us a few Saterdays and Pratice even if your not MT.. On a normal pull likly you will hit 6-7 keys form the time the mob is in range till you are on it's toes..

ST.3T ect.. muli pulls get the second/3rd ect.. mob in camp or the second tuffest mob ...on a single pull St will watch the health of th MT and be ready to get arrgo if they die.. will watch for late adds /back adds... ST needs to be watching a wide range of things depending on the raid..it will not serve the raid to have an ST beating on the MT's mob as an add roams in and mows the casters down...3T has to know what the MT and ST are doing and both thier health if ST has an add 3T may have to step in if MT dies..

The best thing a Warrior can do is realize you are not DPS..we are here to make things hate us and take a beating , so no one else does .. Finding a mob that is untanked is by far better than fighting to see who's name is on the HoTT and how long you can keep it there..

Several warriors have inquired about these issues in the last few weeks and putting the info here lets me refur them and not have to retype this during a raid.. We are a publid raiding force .. first and formost ..we care about training the next generation of warriors..and all classes...( except rangers , which we feel is more of a codeing error than a class :D ) we are happy and willing to share any knowlage or skills we have . we do as many open raid as we can.. we do Time to help as many people learn and gear up as possable..
Equipment and wepons will come and go...Skill is what makes the differance between a great tank and a tank that just has great gear..

Boondeg

Re: So ya wanna be a Tank ??!!

Post by Boondeg »

Gaggrol wrote:crazy-mad-over-nuking-power-wizzies waiting to chain cast 16k nukes

We like these girls nekkid anyway ... Now if you happen to have a DoT Crit AA capped shammy who has intentionally ignored all agro reduction AAs ... Silent casting etc ... just to test Gaggrol's agro management skills and who never waits for an assist and also likes crit healing the MT as often as possible after an early slow and with at least 300DPS in DoTs burning a mob down... Well then ... Gaggrol will simply have to adjust

/grin!!
Last edited by Boondeg on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KukgarE

Post by KukgarE »

only slack ass'es hotkey an autofire. an alternative is to set up your bandolier to match your cycle npc and auto attack ie

x=cycle npc
x= bandolier bow

a=auto attack
a=bandolier range