Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda/30号

post here to join our raids/join active raiding member list. Open Chat Area.
Koutarou

Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda/30号

Post by Koutarou »

Most of you have seen the tragic pictures of Tacloban in Leyte. This is my wife's hometown and her family still lives there. We have had no word for the last 48 hours. Power, cellular and landline services have been down since 8am friday. Cell service is slowly starting to be restored (one carrier is operational in limited areas and not the one her family uses) now but don't know if anyone has a charged battery.

From a few messages from friends who have gotten out of the city, water is desperately needed. There is relief aid coming into the airport but the road from the airport to the city proper was only made passable last night at sunset so supplies are just starting to get into the downtown area.

I'd like to encourage people to donate to the Philippine Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate if you are able. I know things are tough everywhere but the situation in Tacloban is getting increasingly desperate.

Xslia
Site Admin

Re: Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda/30号

Post by Xslia »

Kout, holding your wife's family and everyone in that region in my prayers, that typhoon was massive.

Koutarou

Post by Koutarou »

Just as an update, we've been in regular communication since monday. They are living near one of the first restored cell sites. All 11 in her immediate household survived, but one uncle living nearby was struck in the head by a wind-borne nail traveling at close to 200kph.

My sister-in-law arrived yesterday morning from manila along with some uncles, carrying blood pressure medicine for my father-in-law and some food and water. Their house is still mostly standing, which puts them in better stead than 95% of their neighbors. Across the street and down to the sea is 100% destruction, and they have a new neighbor, a ship (not a dinky little boat, a SHIP) carried in by the tidal surge that ended up 10m from their house.

Hopefully aid distribution to her area will begin shortly, but the whole city will be needing massive aid for quite some time.

Xslia
Site Admin

Post by Xslia »

good news on family, will still keep them and region in prayers - will be a long haul recovering.. and Turn the ship into a land house - extra rooms...