router problem

post here to join our raids/join active raiding member list. Open Chat Area.
Zephur
Site Admin

router problem

Post by Zephur »

Any techs that might have an idea?

I had to unplug my router and modem last night for a minute and the router won't work right for some reason now. The router is a netgear wndr3400. I tried all kinds of turn this on first, wait, turn that on, etc. - nothing. I even did the reset button on the back.

So i can bypass the router and the internet works, with the same cable.
when i connect the router, it shows the connection status as working, i can even release and renew it just fine, but it says i dont have a connection when i try to go somewhere or if it checks for a newer firmware.

When its plugged in as it should to work, the internet light (#5 in the manual) flashes like crazy (supposed to flash red when connecting and green when sending info) but no connection to internet. Disconnect the modem and the light is solid on. (sorry i cant say which color, i can't see the diff between their red and green)

Here is the weird part, if i put a 15 year old old router in between the netgear router and the modem, the internet connects just fine and the light is mostly solid. I'm using it that way right now. Even the wi-fi works form the netgear router.

Any idea what the issue could be or what to fix?
[120 Deathcaller] Zephur - Gnome Necromancer
350 Baking / Brewing / Fletching / Jewelry / Pottery / Tailoring / Tinkering
325+ Research / Smithing

kaneldar

Re: router problem

Post by kaneldar »

If you have tried all these steps and it still won't connect I'd say the router is faulty.I found this online and I would tend to agree with his diagnosis.I had a similar issue last year with a Belkin surf replaced it with a Cisco and no issues since.
http://www.justanswer.com/computer-netw ... modem.html

Zephur
Site Admin

Post by Zephur »

that is exactly what i found online too. did all his crap and no luck.

k prob just buying a new one today.
325+ Research / Smithing

Daroorn

Post by Daroorn »

Please make sure it has the latest firmware on it. There's yet another new exploit out there that is exploiting most consumer-grade routers. The 2nd URL below exposed a hole in the January timeframe, so the firmware should be dated early February or later.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/03 ... s-changes/

http://news.wikinut.com/Backdoor-Found- ... /2ipxp0s5/

Zephur
Site Admin

Post by Zephur »

did the firmware too. i gave up and got a new one.

brother in law took the old one to try out and he somehow got it to work at his place.
325+ Research / Smithing