CPU Affinity Adjustments (Perf tuning)

post here to join our raids/join active raiding member list. Open Chat Area.
Draynor

CPU Affinity Adjustments (Perf tuning)

Post by Draynor »

This was taken from the EQ subreddit, but I stumbled over it recently. I know some folks have said they experience some heavy lag/slowness on raid events and this could help. EQ uses an old engine that is heavily dependent on CPU and not as much on a dedicated graphics card.

Anyhow.. check this out. It's a lot of text, but essentially if you don't multi-box you're only editing one line item in your client INI file. If you do multi-box, you'll want to edit each CPUAffinity line accordingly. Make a copy of the file you'll be editing first, just in case (eqclient.ini).

snip:

I edited my *.ini file to use multiprocessors which fixed a LOT of framerate and freezing issues.

CPUAffinity

If your CPU (processor) has more than one core (if your computer is from 2007 to the present, it likely has more than one) you can tell EQ to set its affinity to use all cores. While EQ only uses one core, this should enable it to use whichever core is free. Regardless, everyone should set this, as it is unlikely to hurt and can help.

To do so, edit your eqclient.ini file, located in your EverQuest folder on your computer (note by default Windows hides the extension .ini in Explorer). Open eqclient.ini (or just eqclient if extension hidden) by double clicking on it. Look in the file for "CPUAffinity0=x" (without the quotes, and a number instead of x), usually in the [Defaults] section.

If it does not say: "CPUAffinity0=-1" (that's a negative one), then change it to that (without the quotes). If you can't find it, add it to the [Defaults] section.

If you multibox on the computer, add "CPUAffinity1=-1" for two boxing and "CPUAffinity2=-1" for three boxing, and so on (again, without the quotes).

CPUAffinity0=-1

CPUAffinity1=-1

CPUAffinity2=-1

CPUAffinity3=-1

/endsnip
Draynor <Emerald Flame>
Formerly: <Diligence> <Forged Souls> <Lords of Fizzle and Whiff>

Xslia
Site Admin

Re: CPU Affinity Adjustments (Perf tuning)

Post by Xslia »

thanks for sharing!